Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Stepping Out...

We found out last May that our 8yr old daughter is Autistic...add this to her Sensory Processing Disorder and many things just suddenly make sense in how she acts and things she does...like chewing - man! that girl loves to chew, I found her some teether necklaces meant to be for mom to wear for a teething baby...she wears to have something to chew so stuff like rocks don't enter her mouth...
Another thing is her love of dance - when she's on the dance floor it's like she's in another world...a world where she can float and not need to worry about the fact that she can't read yet...so we support her in her dance, I've seen every dance show, I've driven her to and from dance camp, I've taken her to every dance practice...and even though she's never said thanks to me I get my "thanks mommy" when I see her dance...

Another way I choose to support her and allow her to know that no matter what I'll ensure her needs are met...even if that means I search for MONTHS for a pattern to remake a beloved pair of pants...
This pair of pants I made her last year, the pattern I used is no longer big enough for her though...so I attempted to hunt down a new pattern, I asked friends, I asked in sewing groups...ideas where shared, I checked those ideas of patterns out...nothing, months of checking various patterns and I was fast approaching another school year of her having only 2 pairs of pants she'd wear - both 7" too short...so I did what I could...

 I took that pair of pants, 7" too short, made from who knows what mystery fabric...and I turned them into a pattern...I added length...I added width...
 And then I made a pair out of Double Brushed Polyester...
I handed her that pair - and I explained that no matter what I needed her to remain calm and tell me where any adjusting was needed...and I'd try again, and again, and again...uantil we had the perfect pair...
she put that pair on - she ran down the hallway and back...she threw her arms around me and said "thank you mommy! they're prefect! can I have a purple flower pair?!"
 "why yes M, you can have a purple flower pair!"
 so now, not only do I have a pattern for her that she loves...I can make her pants in any print she so desires...
 And she can have more then just 2 pairs...
and when needed I'll make the pattern bigger
 she loves the prints that I had on my shelf lol
 Miss S set this 1 up for pictures
 M loves that she can have lots of pants! no need for Mommy to wash laundry nightly for 1 pair of pants...
and Butterflies! ;)


so yes, this week I stepped out of my comfort zone, and I took a pair of pants and made a pattern...a pattern that I know will be loved greatly here and be used for years to come with minor adjustments...the time it took was well worth it, no more fighting over pants not fitting right!

No comments:

Post a Comment