Thursday, November 7, 2013

Josiah Edmund's Birth Story

this birth story starts nearly 2wks before the actual birth...but really the story goes back much further then that even...I'll start from the beginning...

Back in March I skipped my AF but didn't pay much attention as so much stress was happening with the house my Mom was in plus other things...so I thought it was stress related honestly...April/May I started having morning sickness that I thought was from stress/nerves also so ignored it all...finally around June I felt what was an "odd feeling" I could not place...it got stronger I thought "omgosh! I'm pregnant!" but still in my mind I didn't believe it was possible with everything going on all the stress/nerves with the house and all...I went to the doctor who confirmed I was pregnant but still I didn't believe it...finally on August 1st (26wks) I had an ultrasound...I seen baby and that's when I started to believe it was actually true we were having another baby...I was kinda worried with everything going on then what was going to happen but I knew it was meant to be...
my EDD was changed...moved forward by 2wks due to ME measuring bigger and baby being bigger by nearly 3wks on ultrasound...now starts the beginning of the end...

October 22 was my "due date"...but I didn't think I'd have baby on that day as I've always gone 5days over with my kids...October 26th I felt contractions...that got to 4mins apart and painful but it was all in the front not in the back like I felt before...we went to the hospital...monitors hooked up to check me...I was 2CM dilated (by contraction pain I felt I was MUCH more though) baby was high...I was monitored for 8hrs while contractions continued 4-6mins apart...I stayed at 2cms dilated and baby came down from -3 to -2...I was told I could go home as it'd be awhile yet and I was to relax as best I could...so home we went...contractions stopped totally for a bit...
October 29th I had a non-stress/movement test done on baby to check placenta and all as I was 1wk over now...on monitor I had 2 contractions in 10mins...but I didn't really feel them at all...
October 30th painful/close contractions started again...I called the nurse on call (OB Charge nurse too) she said come in for monitoring and checking to see what's going on...so we did...2cms dilated still contractions 4-6mins apart on monitor for 2hrs...we walked, I did the birthing ball, I did the birthing stool, we rocked, the list is endless...doctor checked me after another 2hrs - 2cms baby's at a -3 again...we got sent home again (it was a fill in doctor my doctor was due to arrive back the next day from a conference)
contractions continued but tampered off in pain/timing...
Nov 1st I felt strong/painful/close contractions again...my doctor was back and said to come in for a check and monitoring...check I was 2cms baby wasn't even findable...doctor said we'd talk induction on the 4th when I came to see him and he'd be checking me...it was a relief to hear I'd be over with this all soonish...or so I thought...
we seen doctor on the 4th I was scheduled to come in at 7AM the next day (the 5th) and I was given cytodec as a cervix softner in hopes that's all I'd need to get my body going better with what it was already trying to do...3 cytodec later I was a 4cms with a "non-exsistent birth canal" it confused the doctor...he couldn't feel my birth canal at all...or baby...he called up an OB/GYN for a consult as it was all new to him...the OB/GYN asked him somethings and said start pitocin in the morning and see what happens...
pitocin was started on Nov 6th...I'd get 2min apart contractions then I'd need to pee and contractions would stop almost completely...I got topped out on protocall for pitocin here and it was doing nothing at all pretty much...my doctor was stumped...called up the OB/GYN again and talked to him...
doctor came and talked to me...he didn't know what was going on I had him, the OB/GYN, and 1 other doctor all stumped...he was going to leave me on the pitocin overnight to see if it did anything...I had the urge to push in there once but I was only 4cms dilated when not contracting and baby was at a -2/-1 the whole time...he watched me during a contraction and I did open up more but then it's like it closed back up and baby went back up...I was told to sit on the toilet for a bit, try the birthing ball, and walk...so we did...no change...
November 7th doctor came in, checked me (4cms Baby at -2) he said he doesn't have a clue what to do...I had been in labor for 12days with it being augmented for 46hrs at the time...csection was planned...another doctor called in to do it (my doctor assisted)...a nurse that I've formed quite a bond with during this whole thing sat in by me as DH couldn't bring himself to be there to watch...even though he'd not see a thing due to the curtain...
csection started at 8AM with me getting a spinal...the doctors/nurses prayed (part of why I love this hospital) with me...and things started...8:13AM baby arrived...took a min but I heard his scream...I couldn't see him so I cried a little he was a cutie I was told...I jus wanted to SEE my baby...they held him up after a few mins of cleaning him up/out and he was a cutie...
Daddy met baby in the hallway as they called a "Dr Red to the break room" over the intercom...my doctor said "a fire in the break room!?" I thought "no bring my baby back!" as they have to pass the break room to get to the nursery...shortly after "cancel dr red" I took a deep breath...all was ok...
I was finished being stitched up and taken to the recovery room...I was there about an hr then taken to my room...where my hungry son was waiting on me  he's a little sleepy from the narcotic they used to boost the spinal plus all he's been through the past couple wks...but he's a calm laid baby little boy who does NOT look no 10+lbs at all but almost holds his head up already so can tell where his weight is lol
csection is a new thing to me but I'm not doing so bad...a little burning more then pain so doing good...


8:13AM 11/7/13
weight: 10lbs 4.7ozs
Length: 20inches
Head: 14.5inches

2 comments:

  1. Oh me oh my! All 10 of my babies have been floaters and way overdue. They take breaking protocol to convince to get out many many hours later! Sounds like you went through a lot for your sweet 'little' one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure did! He's as stubborn now as he was then too lol He was well named that's for sure! Edmund is after my Grandpa - who was quite a stubborn man! LOL

    ReplyDelete