Thursday, May 10, 2012

Meghan's Birth Story

I've never shared this before...it was a very hurtful experience to me...I rejoice in the results and don't dwell on what happened to get her here...

August 2, 2008 - I started to feel contractions...ignored them...
August 4, 2008 - me and DH went grocery shopping we got back around 5PM
8PM we decided to head for the hospital as it was a 45min drive...
we got there at 9PM
11PM I was finally admitted to the hospital with the "promise" of an induction in the morning since I was "5 days overdue" (original due date was August 2nd...but changed to July 30th cuz of head size and NOTHING else...)
I spent the night sleeping as I could inbetween contractions...
7:30 the doctor came in and checked me - I was 3cm dilated - he broke my water at 7:31AM
8AM he decided I wasn't moving "fast enough" started pitocin...
between 9AM and 7PM I did my best to get through contractions without pain meds...but it was unbearable due to the pitocin going in overdrive so I'd "move fast enough"
7:35PM I got an epidural...regretting every second of it...got some sleep...
9:04PM I woke to a huge contraction that I could feel...told the nurse I feel I need to push - she checked me fully dilated...baby's head was visible but not "right there"
9:30PM I say "where the heck is the doctor! I need to push!" I get told I need to "wait" that he'll "be right here..."
FINALLY at 12AM, august 5 the doctor enters the room...
12:15AM I get permission to start pushing
12:30AM the doctor starts YELLING "PUSH HARDER YOU'RE DOING IT ALL WRONG!"
12:35AM I tell him to "shut the heck up!"
12:37AM he cuts me cuz "the baby's head is too big to come out"
12:40AM he grabs the vacuum (without my permission!) and starts to force the baby out...I tried to kick him cuz I could actually feel him "ripping" my baby out of me...but the epidural made that impossible...
12:45AM Meghan enters the world screaming at the top of her lungs
12:46AM I get told that she needs to go for "tests" I told them NO! I want my baby now!...didn't get her...
12:50AM I get to kiss her as she leaves the room...I make DH follow her...
12:55AM the doctor RIPS the placenta as he pulls it from me...blood everywhere...
1AM Amy (a nurse) came back and told me DH is with the baby...she's doing fine...(1st time I even heard I had a daughter)
1:30AM I finally get to see my baby girl...she weighed 8lbs 3/4oz 21 inches long
2AM the nurses come in to get me into the shower...I faint...
2:30AM I come to...get told to lay still a min they'd get me some Iron...
4AM I get moved to another room...I tell them "I'm pushing my baby!" and I do...
7AM I take a shower with 2 nurses helping me jus incase I faint again...
3PM Meghan starts looking yellowish...I told them I want Dr "blah" brought in - I'll call him in myself if I need to (I grew up with him as my doctor...went to school with his kids)
he came in - yep she's jaundice...she got put under the billilights...billirubin kept going up "it's not you're fault" the doctor told me...
nurses gave Meghan Formula and then told me she'd been hungry...her doctor got me a pump and Amy taught me to use it...
1 wk later Meghan was able to go home...
it was the worst birth of my life, and my 1st birth...I told the doctor that delivered Meghan that'd he'd never ever see me again...and I've kept that promise...
Meghan's doctor is now the doctor of all 3 of my babies and the best doctor I could hope for them to have...


No comments:

Post a Comment