Tuesday, May 15, 2012

DIY Projects That Surround Me...

This post is really for a friend to show her more in-depth the details of the DIY items my Grandpa has done over the yrs that I now use on a daily basis...

I'll start with the Chairs...
my Grandpa found the originals broken up on the side of the road - I don't have a picture of the before - but I remember then being pretty badly damaged...
the after - this is 2 of them 1 on top of the other...
a close-up - the seat of the top 1 was 100% redone by my Grandpa...he also redid some of the spokes on both of them - then he painted them white originally - they're now painted Green...

Next up is the picnic table and benches:
these are all made in a similar fashion jus on different scales to make the benches smaller then the table - we also have 2 other benches sitting outside made in this same fashion
this is the top of 1 of the benches...it's 3 1x2 boards side by side held together by a cross-board underneath...
the cross-board under the table - the top of the table is 2 2x4s side-by-side with some "plasticy" top on them that Grandpa glued down, where he got it I can't say, and Grandpa sadly does not remember
this is to show how Grandpa attached the legs onto the table and benches - he put 2 2x2s on sideways with the legs inbetween them (the legs are 2x4s)
this picnic table and benches was the last thing my Grandpa made up - with my help to help him control the drill to get the screws in...

An old friend made this shelf:
he used a sander and a saw to make it...that's it...
the "legs" are glued to the top of the shelf - there's brackets screwed onto the back

there is more items that my Grandpa has made...the table that holds his side grinder for 1 - but these are the 1s that I can currently get pictures of - the last item I mentioned is hidden at this time due to not having everything unpacked *hides*

2 comments:

  1. Thank you sooo much for posting! I loved the close up pics of the table and benches, sooo helpful. I think I may make ours in that fashion, I may be eailong you for help when I get to it.

    Your grandfather had an eye for making furniture, thats for sure! I loved that he rescued the chairs, so "green" (no pun intended!) .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep he did! he enjoyed making all things...some of my earliest memories are of helping him make things and me getting to test them (this included cage traps for oppossum and raccoons lol)feel free ask questions! I'll do my best to answer them - if I can't I can attempt to ask Grandpa he may or may not remember though (fading memory...) good luck on the house!

      Delete