Thursday, May 10, 2012

Baby Daniel's Birth Story

I'm copying this from DSD so I can have it to save...


Sun (9/18) morning I was awoken at 5ish AM with some major back pain...I proceeded to do as I normally do for my back pain...then the pain stopped strange I thought...came back after a bit and kept doing that so I started to time it thinking this is jus like with S...pain was coming every 7ish mins...
by 7AM it hadnt stopped so I texted my Mom "you may not be going to church today...letcha know in an hr..." (pain 6ish mins apart)
8:30AM girls are awake now I got them a fast breakfast as with the back pains I couldn't do the normal "sunday breakfast" (French Toast)...texted Mom "cancel that ride to church..." woke DH told him "you're not going to church today..." he said okay...not understanding then it caught on...
9AM DH texted a friend letting him kno we'd need a ride to the hospital shortly...(contractions 5ish mins apart)
due to no knowledge of the GBS test results I felt it best to head to the hospital then due to if I didn't they'd keep baby for observation...which I wanted to avoid if possible...
9:30AM got to the hospital and got a room (same room S was born in) they hooked me up to the monitors...
10:30AM I was offically admitted and doctor notified I was there...my doctor was still in Florida due to plane mix up issues so another doctor was notified (I got to pick which) they found the results from my GBS test - negative (computer was giving errors when they tried to check it so they actually had to track down the results paper)
12PM doctor came to check me 6cm dilated baby at a +2
4PM feeling a lil pushy I told em...doctor came and checked 9 with a lip baby still at +2
6PM still 9 with a lip doctor said walk around the room a little...I did felt the sudden urge of "oh crap I'm pushing" back into the bed to see if the lip was gone...it was so I started pushing
6:45PM baby's head seems stuck the doctor said asked if he could help a lil I said if he felt it was needed...he watched the heart rate on the next contraction told me doesn't seem to be needed so let's see what happens...
6:55 baby's head still stuck...he said he's going to help some...used his fingertips to see what was up...that was enough baby's head came down...then he said "stop pushing! wait a min!"
7PM I was told to push slowly...I did...baby's head's out but baby's not coming...doctor twisted him and such a lil said "must have some big shoulders"
7:04PM baby's 100% out not breathing...doctor said "suction quick" to the nurse and started patting baby's butt...hadn't even checked what it was yet...
7:06PM baby's 1st attempt to cry...7:08 1st offical cry...Baby's a boy! the doctor said
DH said "wow really? I was expecting another girl" I said "God surprised us"

they measured his head - 15 3/4in length - 22inches chest - 15in...then did weight nurse guessed it was 9lbs...I said 10lbs...scale said 10lbs 6.8oz I said holy cow that thing's gotta be broken...they double checked and nope 10lbs 6.8oz is his birth weight...
doctor said his shoulder's caused me to tear where I had been cut with M he had tried his best to prevent it hence the "push slowly" after his head was born...
by 7:30PM I was stitched up and given baby (I didn't want him before then due to light headedness) baby latched and nursed like a pro from the second he was placed on me...

my uterus didn't clamp down like it should have after 2 shots of pitocin so I was given an IV drip of pitocin...it then clamped fine and stayed that way...Tues morning baby got circ'd (DH's choice I had no say...) Tues afternoon 5ish PM were sent home being told to let them know if baby didn't pee by 8PM...
8PM came and went...no wet diaper...off to the ER we went after talking to the doctor...got there they gave him some formula to see if jus maybe that'd help him pee (thinking maybe my milk wasn't in yet so he was dehydrated a lil...) 2hrs later no wet diaper...the ER doctor was called in...they removed the plasti-bell from his circ jus incase that was the issue...an hr later no wet diaper...doctor who did the circ was called in (he's been a doctor longer) since the other doctor had no 1st hand experience of a non-peeing baby...
the doctors together gave baby a catherea (sp?) and in doing so found a "blockage almost like a valve..." no idea what to do having not seen this here before me and baby Daniel were admitted to the hospital (this was 3AM) his catherea left in and they were going to call Children's Hospital in the morning...
doctor called Children's they were concerned...they sent a team down from the Cities to transport him to Children's...I couldn't ride along I started to cry the nurses asked me what was wrong...I told em "I NEED to go with my baby...they won't let me...we have no car...no gas to get there..." the nurses asked if I had a car I could use I said "yes but my brother ran it outta gas..." the nurses and doctors took thier pocket money and gave it to me for gas (totaled 50ish$) said take this go be with you're baby with our blessings...
me and Mom left here shortly after the ambulance carrying baby Daniel did...we got to Children's 10mins after they did...I was there as they hooked him to monitors and discussed a plan of action...XRays, an ultrasound, and other tests followed shortly...by5PM (we arrived about 2PM) they had no answers...6PM baby peed on a doctor! he said "well it's working now..." checked the ultrasounds and found nothing...no answers they said what happened? they talked to another doctor who had no more of an idea then they did...then another doctor said "a miracle that's what happened" something had been blocking baby Daniel from peeing...that same something was gone and he's peeing jus fine now...they don't know what it was but a miracle corrected it before they could...he was kept over night (me and Mom stayed at Ronald McDonald's House jus down the hall from the NICU they called when he was hungry) and we jus got home not too long ago...
we thanked the ER doctors...their actions of putting in the catherea saved baby Daniel from having his pee back up into his system and doing kidney damage...the doctors at Children's said not many doctors would of thought to use a small feeding tube in an emergency like this...(they had no catherea small enough at hand at the time in ER and instead of running to hunt 1 down they used what they had...)


Baby Daniel's 1st picture

as for baby's big size...they checked him out thinking maybe he was overdue more then 2days...he may not have been over due even a day his reflexes and such are like those of a 33wker baby...he's jus a big boy by nature and as for being possibly early it's not known and may never be known...he's got no other issues other then the peeing problems that are corrected
 

No comments:

Post a Comment